Sunday 31 December 2017

In with the new...


(I'm getting a bit hooked on these weird Victorian cards)

It's been another mixed year (has it ever been anything else?) - a world in chaos, so much political madness and ineptitude, hate, corruption and violence beyond most people's comprehension but, as always, the positive flip side to it is  the responses of ordinary, decent folk just getting on and doing the right thing. As for my own 2017, well it was better than 2016 which was marked by loss and grief from the start, and actually not an awful lot has happened - which is pretty much a good thing!  

My edited highlights - I can't do favourites and lists! - would include falling utterly in love with Detectorists and being gripped by Line of Duty on TV,  having hedgehogs visiting the garden every night, seeing Blondie at Brixton Academy,  getting some top albums (particularly Saint Etienne 'Home Counties', the XX 'I See You' and Jane Weaver 'Modern Kosmology') finding a newt (simple pleasures!), a trip to the National Portrait Gallery, meeting up with lovely old friends, making new ones, being given the very special The The single 'We Can't Stop What's Coming' and all that it means, witnessing a pair of bluetits successfully using the nestbox again (was it four chicks or even five?), having fun illustrating for a notable toy company, buying a mad stripey coat...  I've probably forgotten loads because none of it is that important in the grand scheme of things, but at least nothing life-changing, nothing dramatic, just some sweetness in a fairly uneventful life for which I'm grateful.  I hope it's been the same, if not better, for you.


Saint Etienne: Sweet Arcadia

It's been brilliant escaping into Blogworld whenever I've had the time, enjoying everyone else's posts and comments - all the words, music, pictures and more, trying to keep up with writing and listening myself - and getting to know some fab new faces and places around this virtual wonderland too.  


So, thanks; here's to more.  Take care everyone and...

~ * ~  HAPPY NEW YEAR!  ~ * ~
"May the hinges of your friendships never rust"
x



22 comments:

  1. A lovely positive post C
    Happy New Year to you and yours.
    Lang may your lum reek !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CC, that sounds good, whatever it is! To you and yours too, of course.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear me say that I love looking at your vintage cards. Innocent, charming and imaginative!

    I'm hoping that all of the extremist, self-serving politicians on the right get booted out in upcoming elections next year.

    All the best to you and Mr. SDS for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you like these cards, I find them really unusual and enchanting.
      Agreed about the politicians - surely there has to be a backlash soon.
      All the best to you and Mr VS for 2018.

      Delete
  3. All in all, I would take the year you described. As you say, nice to appreciate the little things. Maybe it took a year like this to remind us of that. Really enjoyed visiting your blog this year. My best to you and Mr. SDS on this festive occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, I know what you mean about the reminder. The worse things are the more we appreciate the good bits, although I hope in future there'll be more good bits for everyone!
      All the best to you and Mrs LTL for 2018.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely New Year post - Glad that all in all it’s been a good year for you. The jury is out at the moment on my own year but I have enjoyed the blogging - Many wonderful posts from you this year so long may it continue. Happy Hogmanay and all the best for 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyson - I know you've had quite an up and down year from all you've said on the blog, so I hope that there are many more ups in this new one... Happy Hogmanay to you and Mr WIAA!

      Delete
  5. That's some good highlights you have there.

    Happy new year, C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, nothing spectacular but some really sweet moments, that'll do for me. I hope for more of the same to come this year.
      All the best for 2018!

      Delete
  6. Since the 1947 Town and Country Planning Act the type of Plotland development of " Arcadia" has become impossible, with the lack of affordable housing in this country it might be something that could be reexamined? I'm glad last year was uneventful.... in a good way, I hope you both have an equally calm and happy 2018 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CA - and to you and your family too x
      (Who knows where things will go re. housing but indeed time for things to be re-evalued. The second home thing is a problem in this area, ridiculous that so many good houses stand empty for huge chunks of the year when locals can't afford to stay in the town they were born in...)

      Delete
  7. Happy New year C.
    Swiss Adam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, C. I must get hold of that new aint Etienne album - love it when arah does the talky tracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and to you too Rol. I like those talky tracks too, and I think Home Counties is a great album, quite varied.

      Delete
  9. I got thru a fair bit of WD40 last year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if that's code for something or you just have creaky joints!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you found Sweet Arcadia. It's my favorite from their new album and I actually included it in my top 50 songs of 2017.
    Wishing you a belated Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belated happy new year to you too Chris!
      Sweet Arcadia a great choice for your Top 50, I remember reading that. So pleased to get the album for my birthday!

      Delete
  11. Very belated happy new year to you... good summary of last year too.

    ReplyDelete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...