Saturday 13 April 2019

Crack the whip

I’ve walked up this pathway a thousand times, I’ve photographed the trees before: their mistletoe baubles, pollarded boughs, the shards of trunks struck by lightning – I’ve even shared them on these pages.  But every time I walk this way I swear I see something different.  Once it seemed to be a ghostly shape emerging from the mist.  Another time, a leaf was magically suspended in mid-air, twirling and spinning for ages without visible means of support until I realised it must be hanging from the finest thread of spider’s silk.  This is the place just to observe and when you do, you simply never know what you’ll find.

And that’s how, as I walked up there a couple of days ago, I came across the devil.
Although distant, he caught my eye immediately.  Why haven’t I seen him here before?  I can only assume he is also a shape-shifter, his form ever changing as the wind and the rain and the sun sculpt his features each week, each month.  But the moment I saw him, I recognized him, from this:

19th Century illustration

Well, actually, more from this:


My photo below doesn’t do him justice but, believe me, he had perfect white eyes, small dark horns and the bulbous hindquarters of the Sabbatic goat.  And then there's that whip - the way he was wielding that whip!


I walked around him very cautiously, and came home with my soul intact.  Dare I go up there again tomorrow and see what has become of him, though?  Perhaps by then he will have changed form once more, and all I’ll find is benign old broken tree stump sprouting a long, thin branch.


Bauhaus: Lagartija Nick

12 comments:

  1. I've got to say, the shape of the tree does freak me out a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant post, brilliant observation, brilliant imagination. You inspire me, C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Swiss Adam - freaked out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SA, TS - you can imagine then how much it freaked me out too. Something drew my eye to it from a long way off as well, at first I thought there was a hooded figure in white on the right hand side (doesn't really show in the photo) so even that was a bit creepy to start with before Beelzebub revealed himself to me in full!

    Rol - blimey, what a lovely thing to say, thank you. A theme there for a short story perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still like it too, that chugging rhythm and the chorus (I'm seeing crimp-haired goths chicken-dancing, elbows everywhere!) Definitely with you about how some places just have an atmosphere that is hard to explain. Is it just because of all the horror/ghostly film scenes and descriptions in books we've absorbed or is there more to it? I think the same question could be asked in relation to the film Arcadia which I wrote about recently too. There's something inherent in the landscape which can make us feel slightly spooked at times. No, I haven't seen The Witch (shame on me!) but on the strength of that trailer I really must - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are so right and once you've seen it you won't be able to unsee it probably, unless as you say he shape-shifts becomes something else. As Rol said, brilliant observation and something that would have fitted right into that Arcadia film methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyson. I went up there again this afternoon, unable to resist his lure. Before I left I had a little think about what I might be prepared to sell my soul for, but in the end decided I'd hang onto it or a bit longer. I might have been tempted by a lovely jacket or some boots but... no I was strong. Anyway, he looked the same, but less menacing this time as I was prepared this time. All around him on the ground though were savaged remains which I hadn't noticed before. Fortunately they were just pieces of trunk, bark and branches that had fallen off...or at least I think that's what they were....oooohhhhh!

      Delete
  7. I think you would like Arcadia, it has this element of a horror film in it and yet it's not, it's purely made up of real archive footage, from hugely varied sources, much of which is in itself innocuous stuff but it's something in the way it's structured which creates the most incredible atmosphere and renders it unbelievably compelling and haunting.
    Thanks for the extra background to The Witch too. Definitely sounds like one to check out; "beautifully shot" is always a draw fro me, even if there might be flaws elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spooky for sure. I'd leaf him alone or he may tear you limb from limb. Sorry. It really was an astute observation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treemendous comment, Brian! (Sorry too)
      He is currently surrounded by a field of horned sheep, it's all getting very satanic up there!

      Delete
  9. Go easy on the weed dood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I think there's mushrooms in them thar fields...

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...