Sunday 2 April 2017

The Selfish C**t dilemma

Several boxes of CDs recently came our way through a friend.  He used to sell CDs, so in amongst them are some multiple copies of one or two items.

This means there are six copies of ‘Authority Confrontation’ by the band whose name contains one of the most reviled words in the English language (with the exception of ‘Farage’).  This is a word I don’t have a problem with, but I know and understand that a lot of people do.  (Should you be interested you can read my - and others' - more in-depth thoughts on why it deserves a place in our vocabulary here: Something beginning with C  - and I'm sure it goes without saying that both post and comments contain a few expletives.)

Back to being given several boxes of CDs - well, I know that sounds exciting - and it was, until we opened them.  Oh, the thrill of the unknown! Surely a veritable smorgasbord of new sounds to investigate… a glorious cornucopia of audio surprises?   What marvellous gems could be in there, just waiting… waiting for our gasps of delight when we find them hiding amongst their less interesting neighbours, free them from the bondage of their plastic enclosures before succumbing to their shiny shiny charms and falling desperately in love?    Sadly none.   We’ve gone through them all and there are very few we want to keep, so we're bagging most of them up again now to take to the charity shop.  But at least that feels good; I love the way charity shops work, everyone’s a winner.

Here comes the dilemma.  Can you take six copies of a CD by Selfish Cunt to a charity shop? Would they even dare put it on display in Age Concern or Barnardos?  And if they did, would anyone dare buy it?

Umm...

...Ah 

Umm...

...Ah

Umm.  At the moment they are still here.  But if you would like to own a free copy, all six are up for grabs, that’s more than enough to go round, surely?!   It could be like a competition!  Just tell me the most selfish thing you have ever done.  Or the least selfish thing…. 

…and it’s yours.

Feel free to swear.


UPDATE:  In light of Rol's and Swiss Adam's suggestions in the comments, it doesn't seem quite right to send a Selfish Cunt CD to someone who clearly isn't one.  Or at least not to accompany it with something else a bit nicer.  So if you have a lovely tale of unselfishness to share, I shall look in the box of CDs for other prizes. You never know what you might get! 



14 comments:

  1. My least selfish act happened just over a week ago when I gave up the very late offer of a much-in-demand ticket to see the Jesus & Mary Chain at Glasgow Barrowlands to a fellow blogger who I knew (a) was a massive fan; and (b) had tried without success to get his hands on one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've applauded JC's remarkable act of generosity elsewhere, but please allow me to repeat the recognition here - it honestly warmed my heart.
      Great post C, but I think I'll pass on the Selfish Cunt CD thanks! :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi JC - and many thanks for dropping in. That really is a lovely unselfish thing to do - heartwarming as The Swede says too. Surely deserving of a lot more than one Selfish Cunt CD (by which I don't mean two!) but I'd be v happy to send you it, if you're happy to email me an address for posting.

      TS - are you quite sure about that CD? If you change your mind...

      Delete
    3. Update... JC - in light of Rol's and SA's suggestions below, it doesn't seem quite right to send a Selfish Cunt CD to someone who clearly isn't one. Or at least not to accompany it with something else a bit nicer. I shall look in the box of CDS for another (sur)prize should you want to claim it.

      Delete
  2. I've known plenty of Selfish Cunts in my life, some of them even worked in charity shops (as I once did). I feel the pain of your dilemma. But like The Swede, I think I'll pass on the CD. While I find the band name amusing, I never really cared for their music.

    Here's an idea. Why not gift wrap them and give them as anonymous presents to any SCs you might know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea, Rol. And perhaps it'd be worth carrying a few extra copies around at all times, to leave on the windscreens of selfishly parked cars, hand to people who block the pavement, shove in the pockets of folk who jump queues etc, etc....

      Delete
  3. Find the postal addresses for D Cameron, N Farage, A Banks, B Johnson, M Gove and one other of your choice, parcel them up and send off as anonymous gifts.

    Or drop them secretly on the shelves in supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems these SC CDs could come in very handy... thanks SA!
      I've now updated the above post too with that subliminal message in mind.

      Delete
  4. Just realised that I think I've replied to your previous "c" post here, but hopefully doesn't matter - Good luck with finding a good home for your SC CDs - Think I'll pass although I promise you, acts of unselfishness are carried out by my good self on an almost daily basis (also known as being a bit too soft!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyson, many thanks for the previous comment, I didn't get chance to reply last night as had been out for the evening (doing something unselfish too as I was listening to a friend recount her latest in a catalogue of personal problems!) - but thought it was great so thanks anyway (and no prob that it was on this post!)
      The more I think about it, the less I think we can take those CDs to the charity shop. There are far more imaginative things to be done with them!
      I would not expect you to be anything other than unselfish, it's apparent - and as for soft, well better to be that way I believe. I get told the same thing - especially as I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt - but hopefully nobody could ever call either of us a SC :-)

      Delete
  5. I have been incredibly selfish at times and surely never deserving a Selfish Cunt CD (or maybe I do). Very interesting post, C. Of course, you couldn't possibly take them to a charity shop unless you wanted the cause apoplexy among the older generation. It's a pretty crappy band name anyway. What about Anal Cunt? That was another horror. Anyway, I'm making an attempt at resurfacing and hope to be back soon, if that's OK. In my selfishness, I realise I owe you a message or two. Please forgive. Unselfish good deeds? I can't recall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singing Bear!!!!
      (does little dance)
      SO good to see you. I'm really pleased you've popped by and whenever you're in the mood to resurface I shall be there too.
      Oh god, I had forgotten about Anal Cunt (how could I?!) I know there's great 'shock value'in these names but surely limits radio play considerably. And exposure in charity shops....
      As for unselfish good deeds, I know you will have done and continue to do many but are simply too modest. Never any pressure or expectation from me for messages either so don't worry. Just glad to know you're there.

      Delete
    2. Here goes for a slow resurface: www.roadofgoldendust.blogspot.com (hope that works). No proper posts yet but I'm hoping soon. Might be therapeutic.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much - you'll have seen by now that I'm so pleased and dropped by your lovely new blog earlier - welcome back to the fold!

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...