Thursday 13 April 2017

I think I know just what you're longing for

The fabulous Lee Hazlewood is a name which has cropped up more than a few times on several of the music blogs I love to read.  Whenever it does I'm unable to resist mentioning how I'm equally unable to resist a man with a deep voice.  Mmm.

When I heard a striking song by a man with a deep voice last year I scribbled it down hurriedly in the back of my notebook.... and then forgot about it for a while, until rediscovering it recently (and being just about able to interpret the appalling scrawl...)


Only thing is I don't remember the source - was it on the radio? Was it on a blog?  Was it on your blog?  If it was then I'd like to thank you!  I love this song.  It's kind of cinematic, dark and brooding with shades of John Barry and as if from another era -  the additional female vocal from Marie Munroe (Hilde Marie Kjersem) made me think of Lee and Nancy, the whole mood made me think of film noir....  well, it made me think of many things.


I'd never heard of Sivert Høyem before but a quick search around reveals that he's Norwegian and used to sing in rock band Madrugada. Following a number of solo releases (including the 2016 album 'Lioness' from which this track comes) he has formed a new band called Paradise with Rob Ellis (notable for his work with P J Harvey, Bat For Lashes, Laika and others) and Rob McVey (Marianne Faithfull).   I'm not sure that anything else he's done will match up to 'My Thieving Heart' for me, but sometimes one song is all it needs.


10 comments:

  1. (Lowers voice to the level of his boots)
    With the plethora of whiny voiced amateurs around these days who seem to mistake warbling for emotion, it's always very satisfying to hear a voice that sounds like it comes from a real human being. I've been thinking about deeper tones quite a lot of late and always enjoy listening to Mark Lanegan, Johnny Cash, Fred Neil, Lee H., Stuart Staples and Scott Walker. These are the most obvious ones that spring to my mind. There needs to be more. I can now add Sivert Hoyem to my own list. I think this could be a series. More deep voices, please. Great song, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice voice, SB...!
      Yes, there are a lot of high male voices around at the moment, I suppose there always have been but they were offset by plenty of deep ones too and those seem to be missing. Is it evolution, I wonder? Now that so many young men want the Botox look and hairless bodies maybe a deep voice is too macho?! Bring back hairy chests, I say!
      A series would be good - love it if you were to do one - looking at those names you've listed I think it would be great - as long as I can have a lie-down in between posts.

      Delete
  2. There's a touch of Richard Hawley about this, which of course is no bad thing at all. Very nice and very deep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of R Hawley but now you come to mention it, yes. There's a great richness in this guy's voice, I'll be keeping his name 'on file'!

      Delete
  3. "I love a man with a deep voice" - Yes we have definitely ascertained that over the last few months! The great thing about my blog is that I write about mainly mainstream music that most people will have heard of but in the comments boxes have been directed to other artists I may not have had the time to fully appreciate before - Mr Hazelwood for example (Mmm... indeed), and now this chap.

    Thank goodness for blogging notebooks (and now spreadsheets in my case). I am already anticipating what the comment boxes may contain from you if any deep-voiced Randys feature in forthcoming Tuesdays over at MTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've mentioned it once or twice...
      I know what you mean about comments and how they can lead you to other artists, blogs are like a great big pool of different people's knowledge and tastes and I love that aspect of them too. No point only listening to or reading about things we already know, either.

      Re. MTT - Randy AND deep-voiced?! Ohh... the innuendo counter will go off the scale!

      Delete
  4. It's at this point that I would love to be able to tell you I was born under a wandering star; if only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now that WAS a deep voice. It seemed to me, at the age of seven, that the film of Lee Marvin singing that was shown on Top Of The Pops every week for about a year!

      Delete
  5. I stayed in Paris earlier this year and the hotel room had a lot of vinyl.... ( the sort you play, though I rather suspect it had seen a lot of the other sort too as it was in Pigalle) and this does remind me of a lot of those track, definitely a swirl of Gauloises about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds marvellous! What a great idea to have records in a hotel room, even just to look at! Yes, the song definitely does have that Gauloises vibe, or maybe Sobranie Black Russian - or whatever the Norwegian equivalent is!

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...