Sunday 26 February 2023

Reverting to type

Ah, the typewriter!  Like the Mouli Grater and the accordion, the typewriter is one of those random modern day objects whose combination of aesthetic and purpose just gives me a warm, tingly feeling.  I love the way it looks and sounds, I love its symbolism; it’s imbued with personal memories too.  It came to mind the other day when I stumbled across some wonderful old typewriter adverts from Olivetti – but more on those later.

While we're at it, though, feast your eyes on a Mouli Grater and an accordion...

 


But back to the typewriter.  My mum had a lovely manual one (I think it may have been a Hermes, or was it an Olympia?) from as far back as I can remember.
  It had a hard, grey, curved carrying case, and all the usual features that give this relatively simple machine such character.  The little bell that warns you when you’re getting close to the right hand edge of your page, the long carriage return lever with its smooth, satisfying action, and those marvellous typebars hammering their characters onto the paper like multiple, cascading fingers.

I got to know that typewriter well as a child, not just through the clicking and clacking and tinging of my mum’s activities (she used to offer home typing services to students and academics) but from my own endeavours at making story books.   Learning to replace the ribbon tape properly seemed so sophisticated, and I particularly liked the fancy double one which had both black and red ink options.  Unlike my mum, who magically knew where everything was without looking, I ‘hunted and pecked’ at the letters, my little fingers not always having the strength needed to imprint them hard enough.  Or I’d accidentally press a couple of the keys at the same time, tangling the long typebars at the centre of it all, which I’d then have to delicately prise apart.

I had to learn to touch-type the proper way years later, in the ‘80s, after I applied for a job only to find out at the interview stage that a pending offer depended on that particular ability.  I didn’t even own a typewriter but I really wanted the job so I borrowed one – by this time at least a less clunky electric one – coupled with a Pitman’s Teach Yourself Typing book, set it up on the little table in the kitchen of our rather shabby rented flat and set about learning the magical craft of using all the fingers on both hands correctly.  It’s remarkable really, isn’t it, how your brain develops this automatic ‘muscle memory’, yet if you were to ask me to consciously tell you the full keyboard layout I’d struggle.  Anyway, I managed it, I passed a 40wpm typing test and got the job, and the ability to touch-type at speed has never left me.

 Of course we had no idea that just about everyone, regardless of typing skills or lessons, was going to be using a keyboard pretty frequently in the coming years.  How do you type?  Do you have to look at the letters or have you developed your own perfectly good muscle memory technique without using all your fingers?  And did you ever choose to tap away at a typewriter for a fanzine or other pursuit, long before the days of keyboards and screens?

There’s a part of me that would still quite like to own a vintage manual machine.  I want to hear that bell again and slowly wind the paper onto the platen, then see a few imperfections in the results, a slightly wonky line or a tippexed-over mistake.  And of course that familiar font!  But using it regularly would probably frustrate the hell out of me, never mind bruise my fingers, and it would no doubt end up dusty and neglected in a cupboard - alongside a Mouli grater and an accordion.

Anyway, here are some of those gorgeous graphic adverts for the typewriter by Olivetti, from the ‘50s, ‘60s and ‘70s.










 

Then there's this great album cover graphic too:


Billy Bragg: William Bloke

Some random facts about the typewriter:

The original version of a machine that impressed letters onto paper was created in 1575 by an Italian printmaker, Francesco Rampazetto.  But the first to be officially known as a ‘typewriter’ was patented in 1868 by American inventor Christopher Latham Sholes.  By 1873 he had produced 50 of these machines but was unable to sell them; it was only when the gun manufacturer, Remington, bought the rights in 1874 that it started to take off.  The first author to submit a typed manuscript to a publisher was Mark Twain. And the longest word that can be typed using left hand letters only is 'stewardesses' (you never know when that'll come in handy).


20 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm comforted that most, if not all, of my favourite literature would have been given life on a humble typewriter: The essays, stories, plays and novels of George Orwell, P.G. Wodehouse, Keith Waterhouse and H.G. Wells all started with a ream of blank A4 paper and a mechanical typewriter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that is a nice thought - they all started as a lovely tactile process and then a tangible result, worthy of the slow craft of good writing. Having said that I don't regret being able to send and receive documents and letters (and artwork!) digitally... but there will always be something special about the physical presence of an original.

      Delete
  2. Those ads are beautiful, the first 3 especially

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too - love the clean shapes and colours plus that rather abstract approach that a lot of '50s and '60s graphics had.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful post, C. Many happy memories of growing up with the sound of a typewriter in the house. My mum had a beautiful black steel Imperial model which I was fascinated by. In my teens, I got my own secondhand typewriter - yes, I was one of those fanzine/short story writers... The family cat habitually brought mice and birds in through my bedroom window, not always dead. One time, a small mouse managed to make a break for it and cleverly sought refuge in the innards of my typewriter. I remember eventually having to lock the cat indoors and leaving the typewriter in the garden for a couple of hours as it was otherwise impossible to liberate the poor mouse! It did leave eventually. A tale (tail?) with a happy ending.

    Those adverts are wonderful. Love them all, particularly taken by the Valentine set which oddly remind me of the Public Service TV ads with Charly the cat...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Khayem, great that you have a similar memory and feeling about those humble typewriters, and I was hoping someone would mention making fanzines!
      Ah, your story about the mouse made me smile - glad to know you were kindly able to liberate it You hear about mice and even birds nesting under car bonnets, etc. but to find safe haven in a typewriter is a first. Hope it didn't leave too much behind, if you catch my drift...
      And I know what you mean about the Charly the cat imagery on those later ads. I was also reminded of an animation from my childhood in the art style - Crystal Tips & Alistair. Very much of the time.

      Delete
  4. Love the typewriter in the cockpit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I am slightly baffled by that one! Is that what they mean by airmail?!

      Delete
  5. My typewriter memory is my dad. He was a union man in his working days, and had some local seniority. He would hand-write his union letters, then give then to me to type up on a beautiful blue and cream typewriter (wish I could remember the make, but oh, it had such weight, wish I associated (and still associate) with quality). And he paid me for this in the form of a little extra pocket money. I don't know if they still do but back then (80s) the union officials referred to each other as Brother This and Brother That, which always tickled me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Which I associated, not wish...

      Delete
    2. That's great, Martin - love the thought of you being a Union typist! The 'Brother' (and 'sister') thing tickles me too, but what a great suggestion of solidarity. I think I've only witnessed it on old TV programmes/news footage, wonder if anyone uses it any more?

      Delete
    3. Who knows, Sister Cee, who knows?

      Delete
    4. Apart from sounding like a nun (!), happy to be a fully paid-up member of the Bloggers' Union.

      Delete
  6. Sorry - didn't get an alert about this one but glad I found it now. What a wonderful set of ads and ditto the comments about the one used by the co-pilot(?) and the Valentine ones. Is that a pigeon in the first one?

    I did a Scottish 'O' grade in Secretarial Studies in 6th Year at school - I already had my important Highers so did it mainly for interest along with a few other things. I can safely say it has been the school subject that has been of most use to me throughout my life (Physics and Chemistry, not so much). The typewriters we learnt to touch type on were manual and yes, it was tough finding the strength to press the keys sometimes - especially the letter P with just a little pinkie. We would never swap them nowadays for our very smooth keyboards and the ability to send multiple copies to tons of people without the need for a sheet of carbon - carbon copies. Bet the youngsters don't even know what CC in email is short for.

    When I worked in offices with those big printers that churned out reams of fanfold paper, whenever the new ribbon cartridge needed to be fitted the males in our office always left it to we females. Why? Because we were girls so, 'must have done typing at school'! Different times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Realised I didn't finish my middle para - meant to say, although we would never swap our smooth keyboards for an old clunky typewriter there is something lovely about the mechanics of it and truly understanding how it works, even being able to fix it if need be. It's all a mystery nowadays and if the computer says no, there's nothing we can do about it.

      Delete
    2. Lovely to hear of your typing experiences too and that you don't regret those actual really useful studies. I'm sure we must have very well-developed pinkies! I remember even at college in the Art Dept. they tried to get us in for weekly typing classes (both sexes at least) but it just became an opportunity to skive as it was a short session at the end of the day (I don't remember staying around long!) I used to wonder why they tried to teach us disinterested art students those keyboard skills, but I think it may have been quite prescient.
      So true about the gender thing in the office in those days too. And, yes, I love that aspect of the old mechanical typewriter too, the understanding and visibility of how it all worked and no inexplicable surprises!

      Delete
  7. I still have some of the stories I wrote on my old typewriter as a teenager, and I'll never get rid of them. More effort went into getting them right than is necessary since the advent of "word processing" (a term that now long outdated itself). I miss the clitter-clack of my clunky old machine... though I never learned to type with more than two fingers. Even now, as I type this, all the letters are coming from my right index finger, with the left one resting on the shift key for when I need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you never get rid of those old typewritten stories, Rol, they're part of you! I'm interested to know how people type now that just about everyone does it and there are no 'rules'. Even with your one/two finger typing, I bet a lot of it is automatic, and that you're still pretty fast. Even though I touch type very comfortably with all my digits on a computer keyboard, I've never mastered the phone texting technique with thumbs that I see so many people do.

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...