Saturday 22 October 2022

Local council


I can hear the spinning of spokes, the crunch of narrow tyres on the stony drive coming up behind me. Look around… Ohhh! Is that Paul? Paul Weller? And Mick Talbot too?! In full cycling gear, red, blue, black - bodies bent forward over the handlebars…? Yes! Riding up this long avenue between the ancient lime trees, following in my footsteps, here on such incredibly familiar ground. 

Unfortunately, I’d have to have a time machine to be in the same frame as these cycling Style Councillors – but I was there today, there on the long driveway, my absolute favourite local place to walk, just a short stroll round the corner from my home and yet I had never realised until now that it was also the setting for the video of ‘My Ever Changing Moods’. Its director, Tim Pope, creator of many a music promo for a huge number of artists (The The, Soft Cell and Talk Talk, Bowie and Neil Young all spring to mind) has a cameo part in it too. To be honest, I don’t think too much of the film, but the scenery… well, it's strange because it feels like a very close friend. One I share my secrets with, one who listens unconditionally, who soothes the soul in fractious times and makes me smile and feel alive too.  It’s a place, a haven, I wander up to so frequently and it has featured in quite a few posts here over the years. Up there today with the jackdaws chuckling in the treetops and the sheep in the distance, I took some photos to see if I could compare my view with those in the video, but the trees are still in their leafy Autumn cloaks and, thanks to storm damage over the decades, there are fewer of them than when Paul and Mick were here, and some new replacements too.   It's a place of ever changing moods; you'll just have to take my word for it.

An earlier photo from a Winter day

Still, I couldn’t stop the song going round and round in my head as I took my constitutional.  If you're a fan of the Style Council, you’d be very welcome too to come over with your bike some time and recreate that promo film – I can’t promise you the three dancing nymphs I'm afraid, but I could do you a packed lunch.

Here's the film:




A pic from today's wanderings


and one from 1984

14 comments:

  1. Well I might just saddle up and do that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be very welcome. I'll provide the banana! (2m27s)

      Delete
  2. Wow. I can't match that claim to fame. Best I can do is that I live just across the valley from where Morrissey once saw a ghost.

    Not quite the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really pleasant and happy surprise, I had no idea until someone in the village mentioned it in passing. I didn't live here back then either so wouldn't have had a clue at the time.
      Ah, I know the valley you mean from reading the autobiography. Probably not a scenario you'd want to recreate, though...

      Delete
  3. This is great C, would be more than happy to come and cycle up and down a la Paul and Mick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? I can only say it is such a lovely feeling for me watching the video and having so much familiarity with the location without ever realising before. Yes, you'd be very welcome, you could join Martin. Who'll play who?!

      Delete
  4. What a strange little film; innocent and homoerotic in equal measure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself more interested in the trees (I'm looking for old friends!) but for some better innocence vs homoerotica videoness I think Long Hot Summer is the place to turn to!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CAzwewVjZ0

      Delete
  5. What an interesting claim to fame to stumble upon after all this time. I well remember The Style Council playing the song on The Tube (I might even still have my original recording of it on a VHS video in a box somewhere in this flat!), but I'm not sure if I've ever seen that video before. As John says, it's a strange little film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an odd little film for sure. The characterful manor house just out of sight has a number of other cinematic claims to fame... not least Witchfinder General and The Chronicles Of Narnia. Just so lovely to see on film the more humble lane leading up to it, though, with Paul and Mick in an unexpected role!

      Delete
  6. Love the spidery branches of the lime trees, such a contrast to the fleshy summer leaves. The light summery greenery turns so quickly to yellow and then brown ...ahh summer.
    The videos on the other hand is truly naff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the song deserves a far better video, but at least the location makes up for it! Yes, I love the seasonal changes in these trees, the colours and textures. The birdsong up there is stunning too - mistle thrushes, bluetits, chiff chaffs, jackdaws, robins and more, a seasonal soundtrack to the scenery (and that's not easy to say...)

      Delete
  7. I'm no longer getting notifications when you post something new so only spotted this today.

    What a beautiful driveway, especially with the autumn leaves. I'm just loving the colours this year. Fancy your local long walk being the setting for such a familiar video clip! Have always loved that song and don't the boys look young.

    Rod Stewart made a film on the banks of Loch Ness not far from me but long, long ago so way before my time here. Dressed in a satin jumpsuit I think - not very practical outdoorsy wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think Blogger has stopped the automatic email feed thing, I'm sure I read about that somewhere. Shame!
      Indeed, don't they look young? Just lads! It is a pretty lame video but I got such a thrill seeing such familiar surroundings. Looking especially lovely at this time of year too.
      Haha, Rod wearing a satin jumpsuit in the Scottish Highlands, that sounds about right! He now lives not far from where I lived for some years too - probably a good idea that he decided against wearing the jumpsuit when he did a bit of local roadmending... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P836SYVIBI

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...