Saturday 6 October 2018

More dancing boys for your delectation

Some may call it kinky.  It certainly is a little perverse.   Maybe you share my thing; and if so, it’s okay, you’re safe to admit it here and we can wallow in our weird taste together:

The strangely compelling fascination for the unconventional footwork (and hipwork and armwork and more)  of certain musical men.

I indulged in this personal fixation here a few years ago, and treated you (I hope) to the tantalizing delights of the one and only mind-bendingly raunchy Jim Dandy...

Quite possibly my favourite pic of all time

...closely followed by Samuel T Herring from Future Islands, a goody-goody tambourine-wielding tootsie-pie from the 1910 Fruitgum Company and those Fine Young elastic-legged Cannibals.  Take another peek here at the clips if you like. But this is the gift that keeps on giving and I have more…

…like Jason Williamson from Sleaford Mods.  The first time I really, really took proper notice of Sleaford Mods was when I watched this performance.  It’s utterly compelling, in so many ways – but it’s Jason’s feet and hands which give me that extra tingly feeling, the one which leads me to press Rewind and Play over and over again.  The more he says no….. the more I think yes.  Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

So Mr Williamson, what have you done to find gainful employment?

Q. What’s the opposite of a Sleaford Mod?  A. A Moody Blue, I’d say - I do like these random contrasts.  Yet, still they have something in common, something so subtle and sublime that you really have to see it to believe it….  if you have a look at this performance by the Moody Blues of ‘Ride My See Saw’ from 1968, keep your eyes on the moustachioed maitre d’ in the dickie bow, otherwise known as Ray Thomas.  In the first 35 seconds his legs/feet positively shimmer.  By the time we get to 1m 42 seconds he starts to slowly wind up his arms with the tiny remote control secreted in his left hand and then goes for it with a very brief but oh so perfect peak – the elbow flourish. Stay with the song for another minute or so for a further glimpse of his slippery soles and whisking wrists.

I'll ride your see saw, baby.

Are you into it?  Oh go on, say you are, do.

If you're a similar age to me (but perhaps only in the UK) maybe you also remember Music And Movement sessions at school from when you were maybe around five or six?  You could be anything, a tree blowing in the wind, a train trundling down the tracks, in a parquet-floored hall which smelt of Mr Sheen, in your vest and pants and your little black plimsolls.   Just like Thom Yorke, I think.  Well, not the vest and pants.  Never mind the  momentary moves just posted above, so fleeting and so teasing - we want more.

So let me leave you with Radiohead and the very memorable video for Lotus Flower. A full five minutes of frolicsome free-form - I just can't look away!

I would so love to see people dance like this at a wedding.

6 comments:

  1. I just find them compelling viewing - it's a weakness :-)
    Ha, you're right about Thom Yorke/John Simm (with or without the hat).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh C, you are awful but I like you!

    Just the therapy I needed tonight I think after a tough day - Watched all the older clips as well. Those tight pants of Jim Dandy's just weren't quite tight enough were they, he certainly showed off his assets when he danced. Loved that guy from the 1910 Fruitgum company as well - Boy was he having fun.

    Funny you should share the Moody Blues as I almost mentioned Justin Hayward earlier today when we were discussing male grooming. Even in those non "product" laden days, he always had the most lovely shiny hair. Hadn't noticed his sidekick until now though.


    Such fun indeed - At short notice I can't think of my own although I find it hilarious to watch John Otway (and Wild Willy Barratt) perform Really Free. And, I always loved little Jimmy Somerville's malleable swivelling hips - as is they were detached from his top half on a kind of spring.


    Yes, we also did Music and Movement in Scotland in our pants, vests and plimsoles. I was usually asked to sit down however as I just giggled too much, and couldn't take it seriously.

    Thanks for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I'm so glad you could get some light relief from this, Alyson (certainly sounds as if you could do with some right now). I agree about Justin's hair - he must have used Sunsilk shampoo!

      Yes - John Otway and Wild Willy Barratt doing Really Free- always good to watch for a laugh. I had forgotten about Jimmy Somerville's hips but yes, spot on, love your description - and has got me thinking there could be a few more to dig out from that whole '80s scene.

      I'm sure the teachers had to stifle their giggles too when watching their classes of little five-year olds in vest and pants pretending to be birds and statues and whatever else it was the Music and Movement sessions inflicted upon us!

      Delete
  3. Have you seen Thom do someting not dissimilar in the Atoms For Peace video for Ingenue? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpVfF4U75B8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hadn't seen that before. Very compelling. Have an urge to try it for myself because it just looks like it would be really enjoyable to move that way (must remember to close living room curtains first).

      Delete
  4. Not one soul will perish
    who puts their trust in Me.
    -Jesus

    ReplyDelete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...