Tuesday 4 September 2018

Forty

"D'ya wanna know something really scary?" I said to Mr SDS as I went up the stairs to bed last night.

"Fucking hell, no! Why would you tell me something scary when I'm going to be trying to sleep soon?"

I think he was imagining the worst, that maybe I was going to tell him that the narrow crack in the bedroom wall had opened up and was letting in giant bloodsucking moths and rabid rats. I wasn't, it hadn't, they weren't.

It was just my slightly horrified realisation that this year it is 40 years since I went to my first ever gig. 

40 years!

1978.  I went with my dear schoolfriends that January, and we got photographed by the local paper before the show, posing defiantly in our home-made punk gear, me with food colouring in my hair, one of us sticking her tongue out, all of us 14 years old (and a half) and a little tipsy on cider and excitement. Siouxsie & the Banshees were fantastic - and they hadn't even been signed up by Polydor yet.

As for the three of us - well, we're still alive, and we're still well, and we're still friends, albeit now divided by a few miles, and it seems fitting that we're going to experience some very special live music again 40 years on, later this week.

D'y wanna know what we're doing?  We're off to Birmingham's heartland - on Friday, this is the day, this is the night! - and we'll head out to the venue at dusk; I know I'll be infected by enthusiasm.  It's no uncertain smile I'm wearing on my face right now.  Enough clues?!

15 comments:

  1. There'll be no Hanky Panky I hope! Have a brilliant time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is Birmingham in the 51st State?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to a slow emotion replay of the gig when you post a write-up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother saw them in London earlier this year and is at Glasgow tonight. He was raving about the London gig. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that your brother enjoyed so much - the reviews I've seen so far are fantastic.

      Delete
  5. Thanks all, can't wait! That wasn't hard, was it?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're going to see Barry Manilow, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, my secret life as a Fanilow has been exposed!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Absolutely fucking amazing.
      But I'm not up to writing about it at the moment- have been a bit of an emotional wreck since! Still buzzing from the whole joyous and very special experience but feeling the poignancy too, a lot of feelings a bit too close to the surface right now.

      Delete
    2. Will be here to read all about it when you're ready :)

      Delete
  8. It must have been so wonderful for you. Tell us all about it when you can. 40 years since your first gig? I know...it's shocking isn't it? Mine was over 44 years ago. Must mark it next year with a little something or dare I wait another five? Still having your mates from back then is so amazing. Congrats to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 44 years deserves to be marked! No need for round numbers, just go for it, I say.
      Our night was excellent, on so many levels, for so many reasons. And lovely to still have my mates from back then too - thanks.

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...