Wednesday 16 May 2018

Look through any window

A very quick visual post today as the result of an afternoon out with friends yesterday.  Our outing included, but was not limited to, some of my favourite things: sunshine, spotty pigs, peacocks (elegantly named Dave and Steve), gargoyles, olde stuffe, a maze, beehives and macaroni cheese.  All in the same place too, just five minutes' walk from my home, but where I've never before ventured beyond the gates.  I've just looked through the bars longingly, many times, like a child pressing her nose against the toy shop window. Sometimes, ironically, places of interest are so nearby that you simply don't take advantage of them. "Oh, but I can go there any time," you think, and as a result you don't.

Anyway, yesterday I did, and took quite a few pics, including some of the spotty pigs and Dave, or was it Steve?  I merely ate the macaroni cheese.  We saw bees chasing a gardener (they didn't like the vibrations of the lawnmower, apparently) and fed the carp in the moat.  Of all the many beautiful, ancient and quirky sights we enjoyed, though, there was another favourite thing - or perhaps theme -  that kept catching my eye, all within this one location. What is is it about old and often tatty doors and windows that I find so appealing?  Something mysterious perhaps - and the idea that they are portals, that so many people have passed through or peered through them, over decades - or centuries.   I'm glad that now includes me.










(Inside the high, creepy attic - which easily fitted the
criteria for this)

17 comments:

  1. I especially like the peeling paint door.

    But you only ate the macaroni cheese? Don't you know you're supposed to photograph it and put it on Instagram or some such...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite door too - like something out of The Secret Garden.

      I know, photos of what you're just about to eat are so fascinating, aren't they? - so amazing and captivating, out of this world - I really don't know how I managed to resist ;-)

      Delete
  2. I used to be part of an online short story collective where every week someone posted a photo and then everyone had to use that as inspiration for a story. Any one of these would do the trick nicely - and I love your post about the inherent creepiness of attic windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that idea - very inspiring. I'm thinking now I should have taken a photo of the window in the room there which is purportedly haunted....the one from which, long ago, a young woman jumped to her death.... or maybe I'm glad I didn't...

      Delete
  3. This is the line that grabs me: "Oh, but I can go there any time," you think, and as a result you don't. We all need to work on this... and I'm with Martin on the photo of the door. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's how it is, isn't it? I can hardly believe I've taken the time and trouble to travel to the other side of the world where I've visited all manner of places of interest, and yet this is the first time I've been inside one right on my doorstep. You're right - need to work on this!

      Delete
  4. Some great images here and by now we all know they are right up your street, so to speak, or 5 minutes away, along another street....

    We're the same here, it wasn't until a friend came to stay the other weekend that we went to visit the first lighthouse built in Scotland, not that far away. Also the village they made the film Local Hero. Must try harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and yes, loads of interest to me at this place. I've now bought a (fantastic value) season ticket so I can go any time I like. It really is just 5 minutes on foot and a place I've walked up to so many times without going in - now I've got the ticket I must make the most of it.

      Glad it's not just me, though! And glad your friend's visit prompted the same in you with your local trips. We need that motivation!

      Delete
  5. Ace photos, the sort I like to happen upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SA. I couldn't walk by them without feeling compelled to capture some images.

      Delete
  6. Excellent pictures. I love old doors...you just never know what lies behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR - indeed. What lies behind them would probably be a great disappointment in reality. But in my imagination... well I like the not knowing!

      Delete
  7. I'm afraid that whilst I took a good few pics of them, that's not the same thing as them actually being any good when I looked at the results! I have a line-up of curly tails and one of a sleeping spotty pig's head in the doorway of its sty which, thanks to the strong sunshine and thus equally strong shadows, looks spookily detached from its body in the shot. Ah well, a good excuse to go back and take some more....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a case(ment) of new light thru old windows. I can see a collection of these housed in an attractive hardback sitting atop my kitchen table. Can I write the foreword?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absorbing photos C. If only doors (and windows) could talk. What stories they could tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - these ones could definitely tell a few, some over several hundred years... oh, if only.

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...