Saturday 12 March 2016

My bestest most favouritest songs ever ever - part 3


I fucking loved the Godfathers.  There's no other way of saying it.

If I had to describe them - I know I don't, but I will anyway - I'd summarise them as a brilliant blend of punk and rock'n'roll with something '60s r'n'b and garage going on too.  Snarling, punchy, catchy and dressed in sharp suits, the Godfathers had everything I wanted from a band in the mid '80s, including attitude. Born from the ashes of the Sid Presley Experience this was a group that needed to be there at exactly that time.

I could have chosen any of a number of their tracks as an all-time favourite song, but perhaps the one that stood out to me the most early on was their second single, 'This Damn Nation', released on 12" in March 1986.  But they had me at their first release, 'Lonely Man' and my love for them continued for a good few years.

I was lucky enough to see them live twice,  details fade but I'm pretty sure both times were in 1988 at the Town & Country Club.  What I do remember is that vocalist Peter Coyne and his brother, bassist Chris Coyne, looked like proper geezers you wouldn't want to mess with.   Guitarist Kris Dollimore was a ball of energy, leaping about and throwing guitar hero poses which might sound crap except that he looked like he was simply born to move that way... he was rather cute too.  They gave it everything, and everyone got hot.

Click on link to listen...

The Godfathers: This Damn Nation


12 comments:

  1. It's a phrase I use too often I know, but 'a splendid racket' really does describe The Godfathers at their best doesn't it? I've still got those early records and they remain a bracing listen, 'I Want You, 'Cause I Said So', 'Birth, School, Work, Death', 'Walking Talking Johnny Cash Blues', 'I Want Everything'. Blimey, I feel one of The Vinyl Villan's Imaginary Compilation Albums coming on! Top choice C, I'm dead jealous that you got to see them live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Splendid racket' and 'bracing listen' are perfect descriptions! Yes, every song you mention is a corker... time to dig out more back catalogue I think.

      Delete
  2. Quite wonderful. I remember reading about them quite a lot back then but due to my lack of attention they basically passed me by. Love the countdown at the end. Must get me some more Godfathers. Always thought The Sid Presley Experience rivaled The Sex Beatles in terms of band monikers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like this SB, yes I thoroughly recommend getting some more and completely agree about the SPE name.

      By the way I realise I said about loving this band in the past tense, but of course I do still love them :-)

      Delete
  3. I am not familiar with this mob (do you see what I did there!) An absolute belter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good :-)
      Yes - an absolute belter, and if you like this there's plenty more too (see the tracks mentioned by The Swede).

      Delete
    2. Walking Talking Johnny Cash Blues rings some kind of bell

      Delete
    3. It's a good 'un and I'm sure someone posted it elsewhere in blogland too not so long ago, can't remember where tho'!

      Delete
  4. Good choice, child. I dig these cats. (I've been reading Absolute Beginners). Spied them years ago in Bristol and they were a right crew of tasty geezers, all suited and booted. Hard to choose a personal favourite but Unreal World, Love Is Dead, and When Am I Coming Down spring immediately to mind. I'd advise anyone unfamiliar with The Godfathers to check out their back catalogue and I can guarantee they'll be surprised at how good they actually are/were. Did you ever hear them do Anarchy In The UK? Again - a surprisingly good version. You have good taste, child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, great book (child!) I blogged about it once here in the distant past, and see you've just posted something too...
      Yep, all those great Godfathers tracks, they stick in the mind; I don't remember hearing their version of Anarchy (will have a look out for it later) but do recall a good cover of the Creation's 'How Does It Feel To Feel'. You have good taste too ;-)

      Delete
  5. Hi C,

    I can never access anything on Zippy, but tripped over to youtube to listen. I'd be lying if I said I'll be actively seeking out more of the Godfathers (I have enough to do keeping up with my "vintage" collection) but I actually do like this one and wish I could dl'd it. Thanks for forcing me to expand my horizons!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie, I'm really chuffed to know you like this when it's perhaps not from one of your preferred musical eras! I may post some more from this lot some day and would be interested to know what you think if I do. In the meantime sorry that Zippy doesn't work for you but please check your email.... :-)

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...