Sunday 27 July 2014

Painter and Poster

Time is tight at the moment so in case I disappear for a while, here are some pictures to look at!

I picked up a great exhibition book at Marcus Campbell Books in London yesterday: 'Le Peintre & L'Affiche - de Lautrec à Warhol', and for only £2!  There are loads of great images of posters by painters in it, like these...


Franz von Stuck
Internationale Hygiene Ausstellung
1911

This is from 1890, yet looks so contemporary somehow
Edouard Vuillard
Cyclistes prenez Bécane
1890

Gorgeous typography
Marie Vassilieff
2me Bal de l'Aide Amicale Aux Artistes
1924

For Erik!
Joan Miro
Aidez l'Espagne
1937

I'd love to illustrate like Toulouse-Lautrec, with
his perfect use of flat colour and economical lines
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
Reine de joie
1892


El Lissitzky
Russische Ausstellung
1929


Augusto Giacometti
Graubunden
1918


Andy Warhol
RCA Colour Scanner Advertisement
1968

15 comments:

  1. £2? A great find C. I may not know much about art, but I know what I like...and I particularly like the Marie Vassilieff and Miro images.
    (I sense that you may have a deadline looming - I hope it all goes smoothly.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choices!
      Thanks for your good wishes; funnily enough not a work deadline looming this time but a personal one... I have some precious time off but I also have so much to cram into it before the next job starts, feet barely touching ground!

      Delete
  2. There's something amazingly satisfying about that sort of graphic art, I think Lautrec has been rather neglected of late and I'm sure is due for a resurgence. I love the way he painted on brown paper/ hardboard, the texture in his work doesn't really come over in reproductions .
    The Miro made me smile, I used to wear a tshirt with that image to many demos in the 80's!
    Love your new profile picture by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love a lot of poster art in particular and I'd def support a Lautrec resurgence! The Miro T sounds great. Thank you re. pic - and the same to you!

      Delete
  3. That rat bastard is everywhere!

    Is there some way I can block Martha from seeing this post?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. I have Aidez l'espagne on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, great image to have on your wall!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting these! A lovely reminder of our big day out in London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Kitty, thanks! I was looking through the book properly on the train home and had desperate urge to share some! Such a lovely day x

      Delete
  6. Wonderful, especially 2 & 3. Going to the Malevich soon, hopefully when the crowds have thinned a little. Must check out this book shop too...I don't have enough Art books...ha-ha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy...! I can imagine you might just want to come back with quite a few more books....

      Delete
  7. I've just seen that there is a large exhibition of Toulouse Lautrec at the Museum of Modern Art in New York that has just opened, a bit far to go be maybe my prediction was accurate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how funny - sounds like you were right! Shame it's in NY but fingers crossed it'll happen here too!

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...