Thursday 9 June 2011

Picture (book) post

Today I just wanted to post some illustrations from a couple of beautiful old books that have been kindly passed on to me, having been in my family for a long time.  These publications date back to the early 1900s, although the originals were created some time before that, around the 1860s I believe.  The illustrator, Randolph Caldecott, died aged only 40 in 1886.

There’s a light sense of humour in his work which would become more evident later when he also illustrated for ‘Punch’ magazine, and he was known for gently poking fun at the establishment.  I’m sure some of the pictures I’ve posted below could elicit some interesting captions (that Queen of Hearts has such a wicked look on her face, I'm sure she's not really thinking about jam)… if you can think of anything, feel free to suggest it!










2 comments:

  1. So the Dish said to the Spoon, "Let's run away together, it's just a bit of 'armless fun..." (sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Mother was most disturbed by Baby Bunting's apparent ambition to be a Playboy Bunny when she grew up...
    (apologies again - but once you start..)

    ReplyDelete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...