Perhaps I should save this post for Hallowe'en but I'm in the middle of Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' - a classic which somehow I'd never read before but should have - and it's so beautifully written that I look forward every night to immersing myself in its gothic pages. I'll be finished long before 31st October!
Once again I've rather fallen for an evil Count (last time it was Count Fosco from The Woman In White) but of course, as it is for most people I'm sure, Dracula had already been lurking temptingly in my psyche for many decades through the medium of film. In my mind he's a mixture of Christopher Lee and Louis Jourdan (sorry, but Bela Lugosi doesn't get a look-in) - both wonderful in the role; the former of course for his many Hammer Horror performances but the latter perhaps less widely known as his portrayal was in a BBC 2 adaptation of the book. It was repeated a little while back and even watching it for the first time in nearly fifty years still validated my fond recollection of it as a stylish, evocative production for its era - it originally aired in 1977.
That year I had turned 14, the perfect age to feel strangely stirred at thoughts of dark and forbidden seduction by a mysterious, mesmerising protagonist. Here was an immaculate mix of romance, eroticism and horror, where the anti-hero is charismatic and complex, eliciting an odd ambivalence which only serves to keep one wanting more.
Indeed, my adolescent self found Louis Jourdan's portrayal compelling and it stayed vividly in my memory. In an interview at the time he stated that he really tried to make his character's villainy "attractive, very attractive" so that the audience might find ourselves questioning our values. "I think Dracula should be played as an extremely kind person, who truly believes he is doing good. He gives eternal life," Jourdan said. "He takes blood and he gives blood. Therefore, he gives an exchange which is symbolic of love and the sexual act..." Hot stuff! Those teenage love bites were never going to match up.
Much as I adore a vintage book (and we really need to save them from abominable AI shredders - don't get me started), prices for early editions of Dracula were somewhat steep so I opted instead for this new paperback from Wordsworth Editions, home of classic literature made affordable, with its neat cover graphics and an interesting, up-to-date introduction.
And I'm so enjoying feasting slowly on this famous novel no matter what the packaging. It's a great pleasure to take the long road through its pages, to savour its meticulous descriptions and language, and allow myself a little frisson at the shadows cast by the nightlight and the curtains wavering softly in the breeze from the open window as I take it to bed. Hmm, I'm sure I didn't have these two little marks on my neck when I fell asleep...
If you want to catch the aforementioned BBC film of 'Count Dracula' it's being shown again in two parts on Talking Pictures TV, starting 18th September.


I am always amazed that the Victorian era produced such a sexy novel.😍
ReplyDeleteI guess all those repressed urges had to go somewhere?
DeleteNot this Bad Boy Count fixation again. Fosco, Dracula, Duckula, the one from Sesame Street, too many other counts to count. I think you need help.
ReplyDeleteCount Duckula! I hadn't even thought of him... You may need to be more careful about what ideas you put into my head, Ernie!
DeleteSurely not even a notorious Count obsessive like you is capable of thinking "thoughts of dark and forbidden seduction by the mysterious, mesmerising" Count Duckula?
DeleteMust admit it's a bit of a tall order but perhaps he has hidden depths? For example, I understand his favourite food is broccoli sandwiches.
DeleteA classic I've never read- one of many. I'll give it a go
ReplyDeleteHaving seen so many spin-off films it's really good to go back to the original and then try to imagine a time before it existed - what a huge impact it's had over so long a time!
DeletePlus I really like the way it's written from several different characters' viewpoints, allowing you into their feelings as well as experiences (another reason I so enjoyed 'The Woman In White').
I clearly remember the Louis Jourdan portrayal - was it really 1977? That fact is almost as disturbing as the film!
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear that you remember it too. But yes, the fact that it is mumble mumble blah blah mumble years ago is quite a horror!
DeleteFinally catching up on the blogs after being away.
ReplyDeleteOh C, you naughty woman. So many Dracula films and dramas over the years but I've never seen that one with Louis Jordan. Might give it a try.
We as a family got really drawn into the whole Buffyverse back at the turn of the millennium and one of the key characters was Angel, the vampire with a soul. Also Spike, the vampire with no soul, who I fell for big time and I had his calendar up in my office at work - got strange looks about that one. They are compelling and attractive creatures the vampires in literature and film - but maybe not Christopher Lee!
Sorry got my Christopher Lee mixed up with Peter Cushing - there definitely was something about Christopher when I think back.
DeleteWelcome home! I thought of you and your Buffy viewing when I was writing this - so funny that you had your Spike calendar up at work, I had to look him up! Not something I ever got into but another great example of the enduring appeal of vampires! They are indeed compelling and attractive creatures and all those Hammer horror films seeped their way into my psyche at a very receptive age. No wonder I went a bit goth too, the appeal of torn black lace, heavy eyeliner and a pale complexion was too much to resist.
DeleteYes, Christopher Lee was always good value. Loved Peter Cushing in a different way too for his usual portrayal of Van Helsing.
Inspired by Alyson's accidental typo I've started work on a musical about Dracula using the songbook of the great bandleader Louis Jordan. His #3 hit "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Cryin'" works fine as it is but some of his other tunes need some adaptation. So far I have "Five Guys Named Vlad", "Ain't Nobody Here But Us Vampires" and "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't A Virgin", but any further suggestions would be very welcome.
DeleteOops didn't notice that typo!
ReplyDeleteThink you've corned all the best song puns Ernie. "Ain't Nobody Here But Us Vampires", "Bite Me", "Boogie Woogie Blood Plate". That's all I've got.
This is almost as good as Ernie's Pun Fun!
Delete