No, not you, lovely people! Please do stay. But goodbye and good riddance to the bookshop which chose to come to the area to peddle its far right, white supremacist wares in the village where I live, as posted about a few weeks ago here. The bookshop presented itself as merely promoting 'common sense' but a few glances at their Twitter posts in particular revealed levels of hatred, contempt and arrogance which were far more blatant and concerning.
The reason for leaving given by the proprietor is that they'd experienced too much hostility locally and didn't find the place welcoming, so they're looking for somewhere more friendly. I'd suggest that openly displaying large Union Jack flags with the words 'Remigration Now' on your frontage is neither welcoming nor friendly, nor is publicly mocking online the neighbours and visitors who disagreed with them, but what do I know. They also wrote in a social media post that the village should now 'brace itself' because a couple of 'foreigners' had enquired about renting the premises here. Really? What year are we in?
Anyway, the news of its sudden departure absolutely made my day and the more I thought about it, the more I realised that, in a way, it was even better to have had undeniable proof of local objection to its rhetoric by way of it ever having set itself up in the first place. We wouldn't have known the strength of opinion against it had it not tried to function here, so it was almost like a test - and we passed. I know that's not the end of the business overall, it will undoubtedly pop up somewhere else and not everyone will be opposed to it either - but I'm so relieved it's gone from here at least, thanks to its unpopularity in this particular community. Looks like they are just going to have to experience 'remigration now' for themselves.
Congratulations to you and your fellow residents for being very unwelcoming, thereby beating them at their own game.
ReplyDelete