Monday 22 January 2024

In and out and in and out

She's here!  With a pretty, pearly red complexion she's only a cheap model but I'm finding my way around her buttons and the slinky way she moves.  All I have to do is to unpop her leather straps and with my fingers in all the right places, give her a good squeeze and, ooh, she makes the sweetest (and loudest!) sounds...  

Oh, I know, everything about a squeezebox screams innuendo and that's just fine by me.  I love her! I love my little concertina. I itch to play, make music and embrace her bellows; oops, there we go again.  But don't you think there is something very sexy about the whole accordion family (in the right hands)?  

The rewarding thing about this new hobby is that it's not hard to make some half-decent noises (dependent on your point of view...) in spite of lack of experience.  Single notes, scales, simple chords too - even on their own those chords can sound delicious.  It's firing up parts of my brain which haven't been in use since primary school when learning to play the theme tune from 'The Wombles' on the recorder with its chewed mouthpiece, the taste of wet wood on my tongue, trying not to dribble.  I think the concertina is actually much more pleasurable to dabble on, even though it's a big challenge to my grey matter in trying to remember (on this one anyway, the Anglo concertina) that you get different notes on moving in and out.  But I definitely want - need! - the mental exercise, and an instrument you can play without smudging your lipstick or getting splinters in your tongue is definitely a bonus too.

Evidence suggests that it can improve cognitive strength, memory, motor skills and co-ordination, reduce stress, etc., plus I was reading an article the other week which mentioned how it can help creativity.

"There is something about enabling yourself to try things and not have expectations about what you will produce," said 2019 Turner Prize winner Helen Cammock, who is now having trumpet lessons.  Anne Ryan, an Irish artist who works in paint, ceramics and sculpture, took up tap dancng for similar reasons and said, "I'm crap at it but I come out glowing and feeling like I have spread a little bit of love..."

I know I'm crap at this too, but the glowing feeling is happening.  After a couple of ten-minute sessions a day with the bedroom door shut (is there no end to this double entendre?)  I feel motivated and de-stressed.  Unfortunately, especially given this modest instrument's quite shocking volume, I doubt the neighbours feel the same (more like distressed) but give it time (sorry, neighbours).  If I can keep it up I'd like to be able to play along to something different, oh I don't know what - Bowie, Clash, Small Faces....obscure '60s psych perhaps?!  Just what the world needs, some bad concertina covers... 

But I'm enjoying it. And if anyone here knows how to play a 20-button Anglo concertina and can share some tips, they'd be most welcome; I'm sure the neighbours would agree.

At Martin's suggestion last time:

The Who: Squeeze Box

(Top photo shows 1920s actress Winifred Westover)

18 comments:

  1. Brilliant C!
    Looking forward to you playing it at the next Bloggers Convention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, if that were to happen, you'd better bring industrial strength ear defenders. Fortunately for all concerned it won't!

      Delete
  2. This is a safe space for a bit of innuendo bingo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh where would we be without a litle playful innuendo? You can tell we grew up with Carry On films.

      Delete
  3. I misread the sentence after The Wombles references and thought you claimed the concertina was much more pleasurable to dribble on. A very different image.

    I'm looking forward to hearing the results. Have you considered going in a dub reggae direction. I reckon you could do for the concertina what Augustus Pablo did for the melodica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I probably will be (accidentally) dribbling on it if I spend too long on it...
      But thank you Ernie for a simply splendid idea on the dub reggae! With the help of Mr SDS on his guitar I've just worked out the intro to King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown. Yay! Progress!

      Delete
    2. Can I preorder the album now?

      Delete
    3. Can we make it a joint venture with The Inconsistent Egg?

      Delete
    4. Musically it might work. Our accordion player could complement your concertina, my tea-chest bass playing often leaned towards a dub style when the broom handle came loose, while our percussionist played oven gloves filled bits of metal which I'm sure is an official dub instrument. Unfortunately the only member of the band I'm still in touch with is the guitarist and you have one of those already.

      Delete
    5. Fantastic, love the sound of those instruments! I'm imagining someone's mum now, standing in the kitchen and scratching her head over the mysterious absence of her oven gloves and broom. Ah, the DIY ethos of our past lives... brilliant.


      Delete
  4. I'd completely forgotten the chewed mouthpiece of the recorder... that took me right back.

    Like the others, I look forward to hearing the fruits of your labours, C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that - O can still taste that mouthpiece, probably most unhygienic; I think plastic ones soon followed.
      I wouldn't subject you to the torture of my efforts but thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete
  5. Excellent news! I love the sound all bellows instruments make.
    When you'e ready, maybe you can have a go at this delightful XTC cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's so charming! Something to aim for?.... although it could be an exceedingly long wait. But lovely to listen to that version.

      Delete
  6. Sorry but missed this post from earlier on in the week.

    You have long mentioned that such an instrument appeals to you (is it just me or does that sentence even scream innuendo - just me then). I'm sure you'll fire up the little grey cells and be a virtuoso in no time. Looking forward to hearing something from the Anglo soon, either here or in person so to speak. Happy squeezing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never worry, Alyson. And there's no shortage of innuendo when it comes to these instruments - feel free!
      It's quite remarkable how good it feels to be learning something new and so rewarding. Not that I expect to ever be much good at it but after watching a video I can now reel off my first tune by heart so the memory is obviously working. Unfortunately that tune is, of all things, 'Little Donkey'.

      Delete
  7. This is great C, got to love both a squeezebox and some Carry On innuendo. Hope you get to grips with it. In a former life I once interviewed Bez for a Manchester music mag, and he went off on a bewildering monologue about the Halle orchestra, Joe Strummer and the king of Cumbria 'squeezing fuck out of a massive squeezebox'. It was quite the afternoon and I've been taken with squeezeboxes ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SA, yes I'm getting to grips with the basics... it's starting to feel more 'organic' too, so I think I picked the right instrument. The main thing is, I'm really enjoying having a go.
      Your interview with Bez sounds suitably off-the-wall - what an experience. And 'squeezing fuck out of a massive squeezebox' is a turn of phrase I'm never likely to forget now! They are fab things indeed.

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...