Saturday 8 June 2024

Ono? Oh yes

The young woman opened her bag and took out an orange with an almost perfectly formed circle of peel missing.  The flesh beneath remained untouched, still encased in its pithy tissue.  The woman took one bite, not of the fruit, but of the peel only, pulling a small section away with her teeth and chewing it, swallowing it.  She then put the orange back in her bag.

It felt as if my afternoon of conceptual art had begun there and then, on the train to London, sitting next to this passenger with her penchant for orange peel.  (I've never seen anyone do that before, have you?)  Following that I was party to one half of a phone conversation in which the caller, seated opposite me, unashamedly declared her admiration for none other than the odious Nigel Farage.  She looked and sounded not unlike Waynetta Slob, and was excited to share her self-proclaimed brilliant and feasible idea that Farage and Starmer could collaborate and "run the country together, as they'd probably get on".  See what I mean - conceptual art, surely?!

But on to the real thing...  I was on that train to London earlier this week to meet my lovely cousin and we'd decided to visit the Yoko Ono exhibition, 'Music Of The Mind', at Tate Modern. 

I knew very little about Yoko Ono's art until now, having only really scratched the surface (the 'Cut Piece' film, the footage of  her and John's honeymoon 'Bed-In', and her vocal improvisations with the Plastic Ono Band) but came away with a mind full of her various playful, political, thought-provoking and dreamlike ideas.  There are lots of interactive elements to this exhibition too - some lovely ways for you to leave your own mark on it, literally (a favourite of mine being Shadow Piece, a white wall onto which a bright light casts your shadow, so you can draw around it with a nice chunk of graphite.  Now several months into the show, the wall is covered in a beautiful tangled mass of curving pencil lines, and it feels special to be one of its many contributors). Or you can hammer a nail into a wall - as long as you're prepared for the trade-off to be a hair from your head.  Why? I hear you ask - ah, so you can be a part of this...

PAINTING TO HAMMER A NAIL

Hammer a nail into a mirror, a piece of
glass, a canvas, wood or metal every
morning.  Also, pick up a hair that came
off when you combed in the morning and
tie it around the hammered nail. The
painting ends when the surface is covered
with nails.

1961 winter

Some might say it's a load of arty-farty bollocks, I know.  I may have done once too.  But when you enter this exhibition, if you keep your mind open, and then maybe stretch it open even further, you can just enjoy a chance to think in a different way for a while.  Yoko Ono's way.   I think this is perhaps no better exemplified than in her 'Instructions' pieces, like the one above.  Simply presented in both typewritten English and  tiny handwritten Japanese characters, to me these really sum up the Conceptual Art movement, where the concept itself is the art, rather than a realisation of it. It kind of messes with my head but - it feels good, like discovering a secret chamber somewhere deep in my mind, I'm sure I might find some treasures in there I didn't know I had.    I found these pieces inspiring, sometimes funny, often philosophical, and I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to try a few out.  Maybe like this mischievous one? 

CONVERSATION PIECE

Bandage any part of your body.
If people ask about it, make a story
and tell.
If people do not ask about it, remind
them of it and keep telling.
Do not talk about anything else.

1962 summer

Or maybe not...

BLOOD PIECE

Use your blood to paint.
Keep painting until you faint (a)
Keep painting until you die (b)

1960 spring

There are many more moving, serious installations too.  A single gunshot hole in a piece of glass with an invitation to go to the other side and see through it needs no further explanation.  Everything here seemed to have an element of hope about it, though.  It was also great to see some lovely early photos, film, fascinating ephemera, music with various collaborators too (a John Cage piece did wonders for my tinnitus) and even - brace yourself - some 'actual' drawings too, in the form of Yoko's pleasingly delicate pen and ink images, which I really like (apologies for poor quality photos):




Yoko Ono was 91 this year and has been creating and performing for seven decades, how on earth do you cover everything?  I don't know, but I'm glad to have seen this comprehensive selection while she's still around, and a lot of it will stay in my mind for some time, which I wasn't necessarily expecting.  

See more at https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/yoko-ono/exhibition-guide

14 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I'm normally in the AFB camp for this sort of thing, but I do like the bandage idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know what you mean - there certainly is a lot of arty-farty bollocks about and I particularly dislike it when people take themselves too seriously - a real turn-off. Somehow this was different - it was that playful humour. If you turn up to Newcastle in a bandage we'll know what you're up to...

      Delete
  2. I'm with Ernie.
    But a brilliantly written and fascinating post.
    Sounds like a good but different day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CC, yes I totally understand, this type of thing is not for everyone and an awful lot of it isn't for me either. I was never a fan of Yoko but saw her in a completely different light after this - still have no intention of listening to her albums, though!

      Delete
    2. A whole album would be a bit much but she has her moments, like this one:

      https://youtu.be/_A9yNOuMFtE?si=3GWJ6zk_PHU1ND2-

      Delete
    3. Thanks Ernie. I'm liking those lyrics!

      Delete
  3. You don't get to 91 as a Conceptual Artist without having created an awful lot of art and I'm glad you enjoyed the exhibition at Tate Modern (where we first met!). Think I would have liked quite a lot of it too like the Shadow Piece and the Nail on the Wall. Builds up to something interesting if everyone takes part.

    As for your fellow passenger with the orange - very strange indeed. As for the other one, less said...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might enjoy it too - it's on until 1st Sept just in case you find yourself in London for any reason before then! A good place to meet up - glad we did it too.
      A part of me wishes I could have a transcript of that overheard conversation, it was almost like a comedy sketch (she also mentioned 'Ricky Sunak') - if only it hadn't been such a horrifying confirmation that some people really do think like that. Ugh.

      Delete
  4. An interesting person, I think. I too like the drawings you photographed. To be honest though, if I never hear her "sing" again it will be a day too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very interesting, and reflecting on that it seems quite sad that she should be the recipient of so much dislike and criticism through her other associations, I wonder how differently she may have been thought of without the obvious.
      Not a fan of the singing, either!

      Delete
  5. I've grown to admire Yoko Ono and I'm (on the whole) a fan of conceptual art- but I get why people aren't too. I like the concept of conceptual art- have an idea and follow it through. Yoko gets a bad press or at least has done in the past and its good she's getting some respect now. Some friends went to this recently and they loved it too.

    Eating orange peel though- odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - it was really refreshing to see her in a different light, and getting some respect as you say.
      I know orange peel is good for you but I'll stick to having it in marmalade. Reminded too of an artist friend of mine, sadly no longer around, but who used to eat every part of an apple - pips, core 'n' all.

      Delete
  6. From her music Listen The Snow Is Falling is superb as is the song she did recently with Hifi Sean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that SA, better than I expected - and I also listened to 'In Love With Life' with Hifi Sean which sounded good (her spoken vocal much nicer to hear than her singing voice as far as I'm concerned!)

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...