Sunday 6 March 2022

Songs that make you smile

How are you doing?  I must admit that, like many I’m sure, I’m finding the ever-increasing sadness, insanity and worries about the world quite difficult to deal with, especially from our position of relative powerlessness.   We can only do whatever kind things we can from this distance, whilst finding our personal coping mechanisms and, hopefully, talking things through as needed.   I thought I’d also have a look at what the professionals recommend and decided it might be an idea to tackle it from a different angle, as in, how do you talk to your children about this stuff?  Not because I have any young offspring to help through it, but simply because I reckon I could do with having a grown-up chat with my own inner child!

I read this article by Philippa Perry, author and psychotherapist, she of the black-and-white hair and missus to lovely artist, ceramicist and national treasure Grayson.  I think she speaks a lot of sense here, but there are a couple of things she says which particularly stood out for both my adult and inner child self.

There’s this one:

"The best thing we can all do if we are not in a war zone is to appreciate the relative peace we have..."

And this:

"We can remind them that concern is natural and it's good that they feel for people getting bombed and fleeing their homes, but it is our duty to enjoy our freedom as we have it now..."

Thanks, Philippa.  I think there can be a tendency to feel guilty about this but of course it helps no-one, so a duty to at least appreciate and enjoy whatever freedom we have sounds balanced and healthy.  It's also one of the reasons I had an urge to blog again today (I know, so soon!), because I've been thinking about songs which are so enjoyable that they just make you smile, whatever else is going on in life.

When I say "smile", I mean those genuinely involuntary ones - those big, helpless beams, those goofy grins, maybe with a little spontaneous laughter thrown in too.  They probably don't happen that often in response to a song, but maybe there's some mileage in the idea because there are a couple I can think of already at least.  And here's the first one - it's 'Hertz' by Amyl & the Sniffers, and it gets me every time.

Amyl & the Sniffers: Hertz

I've a lot of affection for this bunch of Australian punks anyway but there's just something about the way that their enthusiastic singer Amy Taylor makes her demand so forthrightly - "TAKE ME TO THE BEACH, TAKE ME TO THE COUNTRY!" - which tickles me.  I think it's that odd combination of quite a romantic notion being expressed in such a forceful, bratty way.  There's no subtlety, although it's all about getting away from the city to be somewhere nicer, with fresh air, hand in hand with someone, with the breeze in her hair (as well as a little backseat love action.  And fish'n'chips. Sounds pretty good to me).  What with that, her unadulterated accent,  the song's irresistible catchiness and the OTT guitar break.... anyway, it simply makes me smile like an idiot, usually when I've heard it on the radio while I'm working and I'm just grateful that nobody but the sparrows can see me. 

Are there any songs which just make you smile, no matter what?  Is there a potential series here, I wonder, open to guest contributions, if you fancy telling us more?   You'd be very welcome, always.  Our inner children could probably do with some extra smiles.

22 comments:

  1. The Kinks Lola - that final pay-off line brings a smile every time - even if like a Carry On film I can see it coming a mile off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that's a good one - like Carry On films, as you say, it doesn't matter if we can see it coming, it gives us the aural equivalent of a nudge nudge, wink wink.

      Delete
  2. I keep meaning to listen to Amyl and the Sniffers- and that made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad it did. They're just so much fun - and those mullets!

      Delete
  3. Curiously, I just finished writing tomorrow's post about a new song that didn't just make me smile, it made me laugh so much I almost crashed my car.

    Love that Amyl & The Sniffers tune though. Further investigation required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think we're all in need of things to make us smile and laugh - I didn't get much chance to go through the blogs yesterday so some catching up to do, will be over to yours soon. Glad that this tune worked for you too.

      Delete
  4. Yes by McAlmont & Butler always, always, always makes me feel better.

    That Amyl & the Sniffers track is a belter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, that's uplifting. And I'm glad 'Hertz' has gone down well. Need this kind of stuff right now, it could be on prescription!

      Delete
  5. This is what we all need right now: reasons to be cheerful.
    I love Hertz; reminds me of Smoko(?)
    My choice would be Clever Trevor - Ian Dury at his most playful. Especially the last line - 'Also, it takes much longer to get up north, the slow way.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for that, I didn't know Smoko so searched for it and love it - great video here
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc
      and more bad haircuts!
      Great choice with Clever Trevor, you can always rely on Ian Dury for a smile-inducing lyric too.

      Delete
  6. In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry always brings a smile to my face. The lyrics are appallingly unwoke, offending nearly every ism there is. However the tune just makes me grin. School masters used it as a soundtrack to a cine 8 film of our first year school camp during the hot summer of 1975. This must have something to do with my affection for it. Honourable mentions to Ian Dury and Madness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can get that - the song evokes childhood and Summertime (obviously!) - never mind the lyrics, here's the memories. I remember seeing Mungo Jerry on ToTP and being quite mesemerised by Ray Dorset's style and sideburns. Bit scary to be honest but also kind of cuddly.

      Delete
  7. I didn't realise you'd already written this post when I wrote my one yesterday, but we've both gone down similar routes I think, albeit ending up with very different songs. Yes, I too feel guilty we can't do more, but as Philippa says, we must appreciate the peace and freedom we do have - We both had the day off last week when it was Mr WIAA's birthday (which he never celebrates) and had a lovely time with DD. Such times focus the mind on what's important I think.

    As for a song, the one that always makes me smile is California Dreamin' when it's sung by absolutely anyone. I've never even been to California, but if I could turn back the clock to 1967, that's where I'd want to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry that I'm way behind with commenting on other blogs at the moment, I read your very heartfelt post and will get back to you there soon - but yes we're on the same lines. I realised on Monday that I was feeling quite ill with all the harrowing events, and yesterday gave myself a completely news-free day, it's made a huge difference. I think, as with your day off with DD on Mr WIAA's birthday, we do just have to allow ourselves time off from worries and feelings, I'm so glad you enjoyed your day.
      Yes, California Dreamin' has such a feelgood, carefree vibe. A place and time to go to in our reveries.

      Delete
  8. I often find myself smiling for any one of a variety of reasons while listening to a specific song. Then again, I sometimes cry too, so you could say that I can get quite emotionally involved in music. The most recent smile expressed a '...bloody hell that really is brilliant...' kind of feeling, when the system at work randomly played 'Penny Lane'. I couldn't even hazard a guess at how many times I've heard that song in my life, but one hectic morning on the shop floor last week it shone like a particularly satisfying beacon of pop perfection, in writing and performance and I grinned from ear to ear beneath my mask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely a cryer too when it comes to some songs! It says something that we should be so affected by emotionally by music, doesn't it - what power it has. But how lovely to hear 'Penny Lane' so unexpectedly and for its pop perfection, as you say, to shine through and make you smile. Lovely stuff.

      Delete
  9. Rock n’ Roll by the Velvet Underground - so unarty and joyous compared with the rest of their ouvre (despite all the amputations) - the guitar always makes me smile. In a similar vein The Modern Lovers Vincent Van Gogh is just so unashamedly stupidly happy and makes me grin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a good choice, Rock'n'Roll, indeed it's joyous and just takes you along with it (that line about amputations paints a mighty strange pic in my mind too...) You know I don't recall hearing Vincent Van Gogh before, how can that be?! So thanks, as that had me smiling too.

      Delete
  10. And good to see SDS back on the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And good to see you here too, thank you!

      Delete
  11. I really like Amyl & The Sniffers...and the mullets and dress sense are morbidly fascinating!

    As my blog attests, I have an unconditional love for Julian Cope's music and I could easily pick a dozen joyous examples without pause for breath.

    However, S.P.A.C.E.R.O.C.K. With Me from 1996 is as good as any: riffs! operatic vocals! typically off-kilter Arch Drude lyrics! Most importantly, you cannot help singing along or playing air guitar (well, I can't, anyway)

    Some clever person also decided to synch the music with a dance performance, to great effect
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0O34F2YEj4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Khayem, yes that is utterly joyously loopy and definitely a smile-bringer (definitely singalong too). I know it isn't him but I so wanted that chappie in the video to be Julian, he looked sort of like him...I mean if you squint a bit...

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...