Wednesday 27 February 2019

8

Blimey, sorry it’s been so long since I’ve posted anything.  Funnily enough it’s not due to too much work – pretty much the opposite really.  For the first time in years I’ve had some lovely time away from frantic deadlines and tight briefs (oo er missus) and as a result I’ve dropped into a lower gear.  A much lower gear in fact; I’m so chilled I’m practically going backwards. 

So I’ve been making the most of it while it lasts.  It’s given me the time and mental space to try to reprogramme myself creatively, somehow, and chance to revisit some of my own projects which had long been abandoned.   Trying to free myself up in this way has been a slow process - a sort of reboot - and not as easy as I thought, but I feel great for doing it.  Just look at all those "re"s in those last few lines: reprogramme/revisit/reboot - I think that says it all.  And I can’t stop walking, I’m walking miles.  Ever so slightly obsessed. Packing as much in as I can before work all kicks off again and I get rooted to the spot.

Anyway, enough of all that, that was just to explain why I’ve not been very productive here lately, as being elsewhere in my head with all those "re" things means I haven’t felt quite so much of a need, if that makes sense.  However, I felt I had to write something quickly this afternoon because this blog is celebrating a birthday today!   It’s 8 years old, which I find kind of shocking; it means I’ve been blogging for more years than I was in secondary education!  Quite a scary thought, but nice too.  I’ve loved being able to come here for a multitude of reasons, mainly to have a personal place away from everything else, a platform to indulge in whatever takes my fancy. Being able to rabbit on about things that might not necessarily crop up in a general conversation, and not worry that I’m going to be met with weird looks (well, at least I can’t see them).  I always wanted it to be an undefined place with no confines, never knowing or planning what I'm going to write about next, so it's very freeing.  Plus  I’ve been really lucky to find myself among the loveliest fellow bloggers and commenters who just seem to get it and how brilliant is that? - honestly, I couldn’t wish for more here in this online world.  So, huge thanks to you!

Help yourself to cake! x


19 comments:

  1. Happy blog anniversary C. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary, C!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blogversary. I am extremely jealous of your re-time. Enjoy it while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rol, sorry to make you jealous. It's a weird thing with the freelance life - I rarely get elongated spells of time off, usually just odd days here and there, but that means you never get to fully unwind or recharge or even take a proper holiday. I tend to work through Christmas and New Year with just a day or two free at most. I'm so pleased to be getting this longer break now but it's funny how it's felt quite alien to me and has needed some adjustment!

      Delete
  4. Happy blog birthday. Am also envious of your reboot time - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin. I hope this didn't sound like I was gloating, it's just such a rare thing! Generally don't like to be "out of work" because I associate it with no money coming in and a potential downward spiral, but fortunately in this case, amazingly things have just worked out a certain way to give me a decent break but without that worry. Definitely something to enjoy.

      Delete
  5. Many Happy Re-turns. See what I did there?

    I'll get my coat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 8 years? That’s very impressive C
    Looking forward to many more to come
    Thanks for the cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it hard to believe it's 8 years since that first tentative step into blogging. No regrets! Hope I can keep going although definitely dried up a bit at the moment - unlike the cake, hopefully...

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your 8th C! I can totally relate (re-late? oh bloody hell, I'm doing it now too - I blame John Medd!) to your reboot - I'm in dire need of one myself. And as for spending hours walking, given this recent spat of unseasonably glorious weather, it'd surely be rude not to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TS. I hope you get your re-boot too. We all need them from time to time, that's for sure! Wow, yes, it's been glorious weather for walking this week - so lucky to get the chance to get out in it, it's become quite addictive.

      Delete
  8. Thanks Yve, yes re-ally rejuvenating. Unexpected as it happens as I was supposed to be working on a big job that I really didn't want to do... I tried to get out of it several times but couldn't... then it was so uncanny and weird as it suddenly got pulled over a contract issue with a third party, could never have predicted that happening. It was as if my wishes had come true. They also paid out to compensate me for the time I'd spent on it, so I wasn't left high and dry in that respect either. Freelancing can be so changeable, can't it?! You're right though, due to be back in thick of it soon with new jobs lined up so just chilling while I can. Hope your new work situation is all going well for you by the way.
    Enjoy the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 8th Birthday C - It was a joy finding your blog a few years ago so hope you have many more Blog Birthdays.

    Good to hear the briefs have been loosened of late, and of course, there is nothing that can't be put right by lots and lots of walking - Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyson, and likewise!
      Yes, it's so good to get out, I usually spend far too long in one place when I've got a lot of work on and now it feels like the opposite. But I'm determined to keep up the walking even when it all starts up again (just might have to do it at night!)

      Delete
  10. Well, I guess my invitation to the party got lost in the mail. Ha! Happy belated birthday to your blog. I always enjoy stopping by Sun Dried Sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, I'm on such a go-slow at the moment with blogging so I'll just keep the birthday party rolling on. More crisps? (Cake's a bit dry)

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...