Sunday 18 November 2018

"Keep that one; mark it fab"


You like your music edgy, raucous, fast and pounding, verging on the anarchic?  With crashing percussion, some reverb, overloaded and slightly off-key guitars?  A freshness and rawness to it with a screaming vocal that stretches almost to ripping point at times, the music’s driving, chaotic energy taking you with it before ending in the glorious sound of feedback?

“Surely not the Beatles?”,  I hear you say.

You know the official version of ‘Helter Skelter’ from the White album; it’s already considered a bit wild - the Beatles’ ‘heavy metal’ moment - but if you like it even wilder (as I do) please take three and a half minutes to listen to this previously unreleased session rendition, which is more visceral than ever and about as punk/grunge as a 50-year old recording gets.

I can't embed through Blogger so here's the youtube link:

Helter Skelter (second version, take 17)

(Available as part of the 50th anniversary super-deluxe 6CD/blu-ray box set thingy that's just been released this month)

14 comments:

  1. F*ck me sideways! FAB. Oh yes, that's FAB alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuck me sideways! My exact same reaction :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know, if it wasn't for just recognising Paul's voice in there (though not when he really screams or whoops!) I could easily have been convinced that it was a recent cover version.

      Delete
  3. From 50 years ago? And from the Beatles? As you said over at my place recently, will this be what we listen to down the care home? The late '60s changed everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even this might seem too dated for us by then!

      Delete
  4. "Keep that one. Mark it fab." Bloody brilliant. The new definitive version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoying this re-release (Super Deluxe). It was pretty mind blowing in 68, when I first heard it as a 14 year old. But this... I also love the Siouxsie and the Banshees cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant that you were into it at age 14, Martin, and enjoying the re-release now too. I have no memory of hearing it until much later - and actually heard the Siouxsie & The Banshees cover version first; at that time having no interest in checking out the original at all. (That did change, though!)

      Delete
  6. The White album I love despite some weaker tracks. Interesting to hear an alternate version of Helter Skelter, it's quite different without the iconic riff. McCartney's vocal is fun in an over the top way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked this, Chris. I'm not a huge fan of the White Album but I think Helter Skelter is exceptional - especially this version!

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...