Saturday 22 October 2016

Your skin is black metallic

Chrysolina Banksi – what a lovely name!  I’d like to adopt it as a(nother) pseudonym.  The Chrysolina part sounds feminine, and the Banksi bit makes me think of:

The Girl with the Pierced Eardrum / Banksy

As a lover of small things with multiple legs I’d be happy to share the name with its original owner, this little beetle.  (I’m not 100% sure that he is a Chrysolina Banksi, but he fits the description.)


I found him lying on his back on the kitchen floor last night, so I helped him to his feet and guided him out the door.  Then this morning there he was, climbing the walls.  (A scenario which may or may not be familiar to you, but you know I won’t judge).


My photos don’t do him justice, for in reality it was like finding a shiny black bead (or pearl earring!) which when turned to the light gleamed a burnished bronze, decorated with the finest stippling.  Absolutely beautiful.

It made me think of this too; ages since I've played it - I still like it a lot.


8 comments:

  1. Three more and you can start a band!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an amazing name. Sounds lie a 30s socialite, hung around in Picasso's circle, fought in the resistance. That sort of thing.
    Swiss Adam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, I can just picture that, a Picasso muse, smoking a long cigarette, mad but beautiful. Someone should write her biography.

      Delete
  3. I love interesting sounding names and this one conjures up so much - Someone from a surreal Lemony Snicket type tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That too! Yes, it's a very inspiring name, isn't it? There are lots and lots of Chrysolinas - Chyrsolina Polita, Chrysolina Lucida... all of which sound exotic and romantic, and all of which crawl about on six legs!

      Delete
  4. Just outside our back door is what we call our basking wall.
    It's a total sun-trap where all manner of creatures have been known to stop off and, er, bask! A week or so ago we spotted a black beetle sunning itself on the wall. We couldn't miss it actually - it was huge and odd shaped! I wish I'd taken a photo of it now!
    Good to hear Catherine Wheel again, I liked them a lot in the early 1990s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of your basking wall! Also the sound of your unusual beetle. I would be happy to look at photos of beetles all day long, so if it turns up again a snapshot I for one would love to see it...

      Glad you enjoyed hearing Catherine Wheel again. I thought they were great in the early '90s too. We saw them at the Astoria in '92 and I'm pretty sure they were excellent, only it was one of those awful gigs where people talked all the way through their set and we spent most of the time straining to hear them above the inconsiderate babble....aargh!

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...