Wednesday 21 September 2016

Caffs, cats and Clangers

The other day a friend from the West Country sent me this fantastic card in the post.


She would be staying in London for a while, cat-sitting, she said - did I have time to get down to the East End? So I made time for a flying visit yesterday.

We met at Liverpool Street, from where she, in her vivid blue jumper and me, in my new bright green coat, took a rainbow-coloured No. 8 bus


to see a large pink stripey cat (not the one my friend is looking after.)


More on that in a minute.

First we stopped at what must surely be one of the most memorable and wonderful East End caffs (or is it a restaurant?  or a greasy spoon?) in the city - E Pellicci.  Everyone is greeted like an old friend, many are old friends - it's no wonder.  Hugs, chat, banter.  Total warmth.  It's noisy, vibrant... just real.  A far cry from the English tea room vibe which proliferates around my locality - sweet as that can be for visits by ageing relatives, sometimes I feel what I can only describe as an underlying sense of uptightness to our rural establishments.  You couldn't get much further from uptight at this place, though.  I had a lovely cuppa and sponge pudding with custard and learned how to say my friend's name with an authentic Italian accent.  Loudly!  The ebullience of our host was contagious. The surroundings are interesting too - beautiful Italian art deco marquetry on the walls had been put in during the 1940s, the old cash till (think Open All Hours) is still in use; the same warm and welcoming family have run this place for over a hundred years on hospitality and home cooking - why change?

After good conversation and a sugar fix, my friend and I dash on up to the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood.

This is where we see Bagpuss... and Professor Yaffle..


... as part of a small, but beautiful, exhibition of the fabulous world of Smallfilms - Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin's creations that are forever lodged in the memories of those of us who spent our childhood in their joyous company.

Bagpuss was a bit after my time - first aired in 1974 - so, lovely as he and his companions are, I didn't get that same special thrill at seeing him.

I got my special thrill from seeing these, ohh! the Pogles!  My favourite!


Look at little Tog on the right.  He was some indeterminate species of animal, sort of squirrel-like with rabbity feet.  Apparently they all had to have weights in their feet to stop them falling over during filming.

"I'll be respectable when I'm dead, Mrs Pogle," says Amos (on the left). "Until then, I'll shout and sing as I like".  Go for it Amos!

The witch was extremely scary, I mean really scary, and even scarier to see pinned up under glass yesterday.  Apparently a number of stories were planned for the witch but were never screened because the BBC thought them too frightening.   I tried to take a photo of her but I think she cursed it as all I ended up with was a nasty black smudge.

If you remember Pogles' Wood, then you'll no doubt recall Noggin the Nog. I love the artwork for this 2-D animation classic.  I'm currently working on a book with human characters (actually Mary, Joseph and their lickle baby, the one that was born on Christmas Day) and, quite coincidentally, I'd recently been looking at some of Peter Firmin's illustrations for inspiration, so it was brilliant to see his work for real.  Look at this wonderful art for the Ice Dragon!


And then of course we have The Clangers.


They were a bit larger than I expected.  Peter Firmin's wife knitted them and apparently some of their space-age clothes were inspired by pictures of Twiggy.

Well yes.


And you can't have Clangers without Froglets, nor the Soup Dragon....


"Don't you remember the Iron Chicken?" I heard a young bearded man say to his friend in disbelief.

Don't you remember the Iron Chicken?!  I couldn't get a good shot of said chicken, but I must say it was lovely to see him again after all these years.

Well, it was good to see them all, after all these years.

Clanger, Bagpuss & Co is on at the V&A Museum of Childhood, Bethnal Green, until 9th October.



12 comments:

  1. Now this is frustrating. I spent a day last week with my other Aunt in Bethnal Green. Her place is literally a hundred yards from the V&A Museum of Childhood. I would love to have seen this show. It looks quite wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! But you did see some other interesting sights while you were there, at least!
      This exhibition was only small but it was definitely special to see the actual puppets and artwork.

      Delete
  2. Gosh that brings back memories
    A local wood was known as Pogle's Wood
    Not the only one I suspect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your Pogles Wood had a Tog... every wood should have one.

      Delete
  3. Pellici's is FAB, probably one of the best spoons in the land. If my mate Mondo is tuning in he'll be all over this like a rash.
    Mmm, Postgate - a true TV trail blazer; though (probably) not a natural born raver.
    Sounds like you both had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah so you know Pellicci's too! I gathered it is legendary. Yes, what a place.
      The Postgate/Firmin charm seems to be timeless. They got it just right, didn't they?

      Delete
    2. If I trawl through the archive I'm fairly confident I'll find a photo of me outside their establishment. I'm sure you took one too...?

      Delete
    3. Anything you could post on your blog, perhaps?
      I'm afraid my photo records for Tuesday were limited to the above subjects... no selfies!

      Delete
  4. Here you go:

    http://planetmondo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/jukebox-jimmys-postcard-from-pelliccis.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - Happy memories of these characters from my childhood. Amazing to think the Clangers were once just a few balls of wool and an idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to see them in the flesh (wool)! Very enjoyable for anyone of a certain vintage. Also a lovely reminder of that whole stop motion animation style.

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...