Wednesday 1 July 2015

Grounded

Our friend Singing Bear of the excellent Warp Drive Duffle Buttons posted a nice tribute to Chris Squire yesterday.  News of his death prompted some spins of this brilliant B-side by The Syn from 1967 here at SDS Towers.  It was one of the first psych/freakbeat/whatever-you-want-to-call-it tracks I'd heard in the '80s, courtesy of the Psycho label's 'Perfumed Garden' comps (this is on the first one).

If you haven't heard it in a while - or at all - go on, treat yourself! It'll make you feel good.  More mod/soul than psych really, to these ears.


I'm off to give a talk to the WI in a couple of hours.  I'll bring you back some cake!


15 comments:

  1. Hand's up who else remembers the Psycho label? Not many I reckon. Sad news indeed about Mr Squire, this fine tune is a worthy tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember how excited I was when those first Psycho records arrived in the shop, they were like nothing I'd ever heard before...

      I can't get enough of this tune at the moment. I could never get into Yes, but love Chris Squire's bass here, and indeed sad news.

      Delete
    2. Happy birthday by the way!

      Delete
    3. Ah, thanks TS! I actually had a pretty crappy day (a little cluster of unrelated problems, pressures and frustrations all decided to come along at once!) but never mind... I'll just have to make up for it somehow!

      Delete
  2. I take it your talk is about Perfumed Garden compilations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why of course! That, and punk gigs 1978...

      Delete
  3. Quite excellent. That mod-soul/psych crossover period was peak in British pop. Any chance of a scone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it? Still sounds so good.

      How about a slice of Victoria Sandwich?

      Delete
  4. Now that's a fine piece of 60s psychedlia, C. Is this your "walk-on" music for your talk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but what a great idea that would be... thank you george :-)
      'Pictures of Matchstick Men' or 'Paint It Black' might be more suited!

      Delete
  5. Great choice, C. Nice to see the Syn is fondly remembered... even under these sad circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great. New to me I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian, SA - it's a good'un innit?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about your birthday, too. Just call "DO OVER!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian - I had to look that up, not a familiar phrase to me! Sounds like a good idea, I'll have another go...

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...