Saturday 19 January 2013

The cat, the rat and the blackbird

Not much snow here really, and certainly not the apocalyptic blizzard that was forecast, so I won't be making any voluptuous snow-women like I did last year (she slowly got droopier and droopier as the temperature picked up until eventually her curvaceous appendages just dropped off...)

But the thing I love about a light sprinkling of the white stuff is looking out in the morning to see who's been around already, leaving delicate little tracks before my clumsy clumpy booted footprints spoil the canvas.  This morning I see evidence of Ratty (he's probably back under the car bonnet now as I type).  The blackbird and a neighbour's cat have left their trails too.  I can't help but get a picture in my mind of all three of them out there at the same time, setting aside their differences for one magical hour and going off together to build some snow-rats, snow-cats and snow-birds.  It's just a shame that they must have melted before I could find them.

11 comments:

  1. We got about 4 inches of heavy wet snow the other night, it's been our first in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I didn't know that you ever had snow down there! Hope you were able to enjoy it anyway...

      Delete
  2. Nice shots. Any sign of Big Foot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had a couple of heavy snowfalls and have seen a few creatures unusually close-up when we've been out walking, including a Barn Owl that swooped right over us and a Godwit (had to look that one up when we got home!). We also have a mystery creature that comes right up the garden to just outside our back-door at dead of night and digs a bloody great hole. It's happened a few times in virtually the same spot and we assume it's a fox or badger - any thoughts?

    Great shots by the way. If we get another overnight dusting I'll get out the back with my camera to gather further evidence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - how special to have a Barn Owl swoop over you and as for the Godwit, I'd have to look that up too... very obscure! Was delighted today to have a couple of Fieldfares come into the garden, lovely birds.
      Ooh I wonder what your mystery creature is, and hope you'll keep us informed. Presumably not a nocturnal squirrel looking for treats it buried in the Autumn ;-) Yes - maybe a badger??

      Delete
  4. Thought we'd get hardly anything but now got a load. My Twitter is full of train cancelled messages oh low tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the whole country may grind to a halt this week...?!

      Delete
  5. We don't get snow very often at all but, we did on Thursday. I was in Louisiana and missed it but, I got some good pictures of the Big Man on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame you missed it - I'd send you some of ours if I could... we've had a lot more since I took these.
      I bet the Big Man loved it!

      Delete
    2. He had a big time.

      That's a very generous offer but pleae hang on to it. The Boy may love it but, Daddy can't stand the stuff.

      I'm impossible to live with once the temp. gets below 65f.
      At least here it's gone by noon.

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...