Saturday 13 August 2011

Stepping out of the Shadows

If I try really, really hard I can just about manage to obliterate all images of Hank Marvin from my mind when I hear this.  No disrespect to him or the other Shadows but, any time I’ve listened to them (not often, I grant you), the vision of that three-step stationary waltz thing they do just makes me want to stop…

But when I get that thought out of my head, I can play this song and imagine something altogether different.  Maybe a dark little sixties club with painted murals of stylized flowers on the walls, some hip young things dancing (not the three-step stationary waltz), plenty of purple and green silk, and pale lipstick? 


If you don't already know it, this Shadows instrumental is 'Scotch On The Socks'. the B-side of 'The Dreams I Dream' from 1966.  I think it's great.  And once Hank is out of my mind, listening to it just makes me want to go-go...

7 comments:

  1. Yes, it is hard to listen to the Shadows without thinking of ... well, the Shadows. And the title doesn't help - keep thinking of Hank wearing nothing but some natty tartan hosiery....

    Good tune though. "Goin' Down Goin' Down...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you hadn't said that about Hank and the tartan socks, A! Shudder...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the Shadows. I've always preferred their handful of vocal tracks ("Mary Anne", "Stay Around", "My Way", "One Way To Love" etc) which for the most part were sadly consigned as LP tracks....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a walloper! I'll try and dig out a copy for our next Vinyl Night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wilthomer, yes there's not many Shadows tracks I know and like, but it's great when you hear something unexpectedly that turns out to be a gem; and as with the vocal tracks you mention probably got very little airplay.
    Thanks, John - really enjoyed reading about the Vinyl Night, must be great fun, how hard to choose, though... Anyway glad you like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just spotted this post and brought back memories of a '60s compilation we had when I was young. They don't make 'em like that any more - Like you I can just imagine the bright young things in their floral shirts and "cool" moves on the dancefloor in a smoky basement club somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I had almost forgotten this post, from my first year of blogging. Great song though and yes, as you say, they don't make them like that any more - but so evocative of that time.

      Delete

Please come in, the door is open

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...